Monday, February 05, 2007

Article: Hospital in Massachusettes embraces HypnoBirthing

I found this article about Tobey hospital in Massachusetts that emphasizes natural childbirth. The mom that leads the article used HypnoBirthing for both her babies -- "When it's all over, you feel empowered — you were able to do that," is her quote.

"Empowered" is exactly how I felt after giving birth to my two babies. The feeling of elation -- enhanced by my body's natural endorphins that were still coursing through me -- made me feel like I could do anything. I remember telling my husband -- "some men may be able to climb Mt Everest, but women GIVE BIRTH!" I felt strong and grounded; I was on cloud nine for days.

Ten years later, the fact that there are more hospitals embracing natural childbirth today is great -- but we have a long way to go before it's common.

Moms and couples, remember you do have a choice. Birth does not need to be a medical emergency, and yet we are conditioned (by our doctors, our television, and our well-meaning friends/family) to believe it is.

Please don't get me wrong -- I'm a big supporter of medicine when used appropriately, and I don't believe a woman "fails" somehow if her birth is not completely natural. What I don't agree with is the prevalent attitude among many hospitals and practitioners that birth should be treated from the get-go as a medical emergency. Women should be supported in their decision to have a natural birth (not bullied out of it). Doctors, bless them, should be on-hand in case special circumstances arise that require his/her skills. But, otherwise, let's remember this: a woman and a baby have been engineered by nature over millions to do just this thing!

On another note: what positive effect on the overall state of our over-taxed healthcare system could eliminating all but essential c-sections have? Food for thought.