Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Are you facing surgery? Or recovering? Hypnosis may help

More hospitals are opening up to hypnotherapy and hypnosis for pain management, pre-op care, and other uses. This is a heartening article about a hospital in New Jersey that offers hypnosis as an alternative to anesthesia: New-age prescriptions: Yoga, hypnosis, acupuncture, more While hypnosis sounds "space age," it's really an ancient art. And slowly but surely, despite the drug-fixated times we live in, some hospitals are beginning to embrace what it has to offer for the good of their patients.

Many people have used hypnosis very successfully for pain management. I had my own experience a few months ago in which hypnosis was actually the only thing that could bring me relief.

A surface filling in one of my teeth had fallen out -- it was small, and I ignored it, thinking it could wait until....well, whenever! (yes, I know what you are thinking, and you are right -- I could use hypnosis on myself for procrastination...I'll do that as soon as I get around to it. (haha.))

Of course, when the nerve was finally irritated enough, the pain started -- and, of course, it was around 1:00 a.m. on a Friday night...it would be a long night and two days before the dentist would be available. The nerve pain was the most intense I've ever had.

Ibuprofen did not make a dent in the pain. I had a small bottle of Vicodin that I'd never used after I'd had a wisdom tooth pulled, so I rummaged around in the bathroom until I finally found it. I was sure it would be strong enough to bring me relief. Well, instead of relief, it made me feel ill. My tooth was just as painful -- even more painful -- and now I had the sweats and felt like I might pass out from nausea.

Finally, in my suffering, it dawned on me that I'm a hypnotherapist and should be able to help myself -- Why is it that we sometimes forget what we know when we most need it? :)

About pain management with hypnosis: There is a funny thing about the mind that most of us do not know -- our mind can only focus on one thought at a time. Sometimes it may seem as though we are thinking of many things simultaneously, but in reality, our thoughts bounce from thought to thought to thought at lightening speed. The technique I used was to go into light hypnosis, and focus very intently on the comfort in my hand. (You could use any body part... even the tip of your nose, if that is the only place that is comfortable in the moment.)

Focusing very intently on the comfort, you can begin to feel the comfort radiating... that comfort eventually can move anywhere you want it to move. And, yes, I moved this comfort to my tooth. I next focused on the comfort of my other teeth...they eventually felt like they could "radiate" comfort to my one tooth in need of comfort. I even surprised myself with how well it worked, and I should know better. Hypnosis never ceases to amaze me, which is part of why this work brings me joy.

I blocked my pain, got a good night's sleep, then managed my pain for 2 days this way until I could get into see my lovely dentist, Dr. Wandell in Hoquiam. (Thank you, Dr. Wandell and staff!)

***

Please consider using hypnosis if you are dealing with chronic pain, and also if you are about to undergo surgery or medical treatment. Many people have found it helps them go through the process more smoothly, more relaxed, and with fewer complications. After a procedure, hypnosis can help with pain management and healing -- you can mobilize your bodies own natural healing forces to speed up your recovery.

If you are facing a medical procedure or treatment, or if you are in recovery, I can work with you as a hypnotherapist with your doctor's permission. (I have a simple referral form that almost any medical doctor will feel comfortable signing.)

If you'd prefer, you can try a recorded hypnosis session -- Hypnosis Downloads has a wide variety. (I'm in no way affiliated with these people and make nothing if you buy from them!)

Til next time, you have my blessings....